The Conflict Transformation Group (CTG) is an intellectual network of conflict specialists interested in the relationship between development and economic structures and conflict potential. The group has organized post-graduate courses, given conflict-related training for scholars and practitioners, advisory services for governments and international organizations, as well as done studies and reports on conflict issues.
Area of Expertise: Conflict
CTG offers expertise in conflict issues, evaluation of the impact of development cooperation and humanitarian aid on the transformation of conflict structures and on the construction of structures of peace and democracy.
- Structural sources of conflict and their transformation
- Development cooperation and the promotion of peace, democracy and human rights
- Humanitarian intervention in the developing world
- Conflict and democratization in Somalia, West Africa, Kenya, Indonesia, Liberia, Sudan, the Middle East, former Yugoslavia, Zimbabwe, South Africa.
Several research and consultancy contracts with the Finnish Foreign Ministry on conflict early warning, arms control, regional institution building, preventive diplomacy and the use of development cooperation, humanitarian aid and aid conditionality as a conflict transformation tool.
Research contract with the UNIDIR on Conflict transformation and arms management in West Africa, and with the UNU/WIDER on the prevention of humanitarian crises. Conflict Early Warning consultancy on China and Indonesia for Nokia.
The group has provided its expertise in form of training and evaluation, also to the Danish and Swedish Foreign Ministries, the UNDP, OECD's DAC, EU Commission, and the Danish and Finnish defense establishments.
The group is a member of the Conflict Management and Development Group coordinated by T & B Consult and the EC Network for Human Rights, Democratization and Institutional Strengthening, led by the Sema Group.
Extensive publication on conflict and democracy studies (general, Asia, Africa, the Middle East) in major international scientific journals, such as World Politics, Journal of Peace Research, Journal of Modern African Studies, Third World Quarterly, Contemporary Southeast Asia, Asian Journal of Social Sciences, Asia-Pacific Development Monitor, Africa Today, Journal of Developing Areas, Human Rights Quarterly and Journal of Commonwealth and Comparative Politics
Members of the group include
- Dr. Timo Kivimäki, Nordic Institute of Asian Studies (head, Asia).
- Dr. Liisa Laakso, University of Jyväskylä (Africa, the Middle East).
- Ms. Terhi Lehtinen, European Commission (West Africa, Southern Africa).
- Dr. Clement E. Adibe, DePaul University (Africa).
- Dr. Masud Hossain, University of Helsinki (South Asia).
- Dr. Riikka Kuusisto, University of Helsinki (Balkan, Persian Gulf).
- Dr. Stig Toft Madsen, University of Copenhagen (South Asia, Central Asia).
- Dr. Loghman Pireh Babi, University of Helsinki (the Middle East).
- Dr. Peter Schraeder, Loyola University (Africa).
- Dr. Teivo Teivainen, University of Helsinki (Latin America).
Opportunities for Conflict Professionals
The Conflict Transformation Group continues to expand its networks. With a growing need to take the conflict aspect into account in the planning, implementation and evaluation of development cooperation, there is a growing need for professionals in aspects of conflict. This is why the Conflict Transformation Group is systematically collecting a roster of specialists in several conflict-related issue areas, and invites conflict specialists who would be interested in collaborating with us to submit their CVs and lists of publications and sample publications/reports.
How to Contact Us?
Tel. +358 50 308 1270